Local Energy Systems Research Service
About the service
That electricity supply is more dependent than ever on low carbon, renewable, distributed and intermittent generation sources, posing significant technical, economic and social challenges.
Local energy system concepts such as microgrids can provide resilience to the benefit of communities and can simultaneously support the wider energy system by providing flexibility at both distribution and grid level.
At the same time, energy communities are being formed as individuals come together to exploit locally available renewable resources, providing community benefits including lower energy costs. These concepts are in turn presenting opportunities for innovative business models such as peer to peer trading, collective self-consumption and transactive energy. But these same opportunities also represent challenges to incumbents who need to understand their future role in the energy system.
Delta-EE’s Local Energy Systems Research Service provides analysis, insight and opinion on how local energy communities, markets and microgrids are growing, enabling you to develop the right strategy and activities to respond to the challenges and capture the opportunities.
“Energy is becoming more localised. Distributed assets are becoming more widespread. Energy is increasingly being optimised bottom up rather than top down, enabled by advances in software and controls systems.
Energy communities, in various forms, are developing fast, capturing more and more value locally. In some instances, the emerging need for improved levels of resilience is leading to technology innovations such as islandable microgrids.
This brings many opportunities – and challenges – for companies ranging from network operators through to product manufacturers, service providers, electricity retailers, and regulators & policy makers.”
Service brochure and research highlights
Delta EE - your partner in local energy systems research
The future of local energy systems, microgrids and energy communities are at the centre of many questions and concerns surrounding the energy transition. Our comprehensive expert insight and research explores key considerations, such as:
- How can we make money out of local energy systems?
- What are the opportunities now and in the future?
- What are the social and environmental values and benefits that local energy systems bring?
- What are the potential roles for incumbents, and is the localisation of energy a threat or opportunity?
- How do we engage communities to support, optimise and influence the development of local energy?
- How are regulations and market structures for local energy systems emerging across Europe, and how are these shaping the opportunities?
- What are the economic value streams for local energy systems and how can they be captured and maximised?
- How can local energy systems provide resilience to its customers and the wider energy system?
- How can incumbents work with communities for mutual benefit?
- What are the likely impacts of local energy markets on the grid in both commercial and technological terms?
- How are regulatory frameworks emerging for local energy systems?
- Which markets have the most favourable regulatory and policy environment?
- Where are the hotspots of local energy system activity and what business models are working?
Essential local energy systems intelligence at your fingertips
By working with our clients on a subscription basis, the full breadth of our extensive research and insight is simple and intuitive to access.
As part of the subscription, you will receive:
Resources available with a subscription
Thoroughly researched reports on the most important connected home and smart home developments.
Reactive, insightful reports from our industry experts exploring the latest connected home news and events.
The data you need to make the best decisions for your business, including customer research and company profiles.
Company & Project Profiles
Case studies investigating the business models and customer propositions of companies in the energy space.
Ad hoc support from our expert team of analysts.
New Energy Summit
Priority entry to our New Energy Summit, giving you the chance to network and learn from industry experts.
Local Energy Systems Projects Database
Subscribers can access this database which includes almost 200 local energy systems worldwide. It includes detailed case studies illustrating key features of the projects, business models and financial information around the project.
Local Energy Systems Regulations Database
This database provides an overview of the key regulations and policies expected to impact the development of local energy systems.
Clients & Partners
Who we work with
Our research benefits a wide range of industries and organisations, including, but not limited to: