Local Energy Systems Research
Understand and respond to the challenges and opportunities from the growth in energy communities, microgrids and local energy markets
"Energy is becoming more localised. Distributed assets are becoming more widespread. Energy is increasingly being optimised bottom up rather than top down, enabled by advances in software and controls systems.
Energy communities, in various forms, are developing fast, capturing more and more value locally.
In some instances, the emerging need for improved levels of resilience is leading to technology innovations such as islandable microgrids.
This brings many opportunities – and challenges – for companies ranging from network operators through to product manufacturers, service providers, electricity retailers, and regulators & policy makers."
Rita Desmyter, Local Energy Systems expert
- How can we make money out of local energy systems? What are the opportunities now and in the future?
- What are the social and environmental values and benefits that local energy systems bring?
- What are the potential roles for incumbents, and is the localisation of energy a threat or opportunity?
- How do we engage communities to support, optimise and influence the development of local energy?
- How are regulations and market structures for local energy systems emerging across Europe, and how are these shaping the opportunities?
Delta-EE's Local Energy Systems Research Service answers all these questions and provides analysis, insight and opinion on how local energy communities, markets and microgrids are growing, enabling you to develop the right strategy and activities to respond to the challenges and capture the opportunities.
Recently published reports
Energy communities market assessment
Connections for new housing developments (view point)
Are customers willing to invest in energy communities?
Direct Current Microgrids: the future of the energy system?
Local Energy Systems Policy and Regulations Database
This database provides:
- A long list of all relevant local energy systems regulations
- Our summary and views of the regulations
- Information on which particular topic it covers (e.g. collective self-consumption, peer to peer, export incentives, climate targets etc.)
- Details on which companies are impacted (e.g. customers, DSOs, TSOs, energy suppliers etc.)
- Specific information on country, start / end dates and values if applicable